Ohio Sheriff's have been granted the authority to oversee issuance of concealed handgun licenses. Applications will be accepted at 25 East Second Street and conducted between the hours of 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Wednesday hours are 1 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Inquires concerning Concealed Carry Licensing may be made by contacting Pat Lightfoot at 740-385-2131.
The following is a checklist of items the applicant must have to apply for the application process:
* A resident of Hocking County or an adjacent county for 30 days.
* Application filled out completely and have read and understand the
“Ohio’s Concealed Carry Law” booklet.
* Color photo of applicant, passport size 2” x 2”, taken within 30 days.
* Valid identification, drivers license, State I.D. card or passport.
* Original certificate of completion of firearms safety course by a licensed and
approved instructor who meets requirements of HB12 or other documents of
training as approved by HB12. Copies will be made and attached to the
* Non-refundable fee of $67.00 payable in cash, cashier’s check or money order
($91.00 fee if applicant has not been an Ohio resident for the past 5 years) and
due at the time of application submission. Renewal fee is $50.00.
Cashier’s check and money order’s are to be made payable to “Hocking County Treasurer”.
Fees paid in cash must be exact, no change can be made.
* Certain applicants may be eligible to have their fees and/or firearms safety
course waived if they meet specific criteria outlined by HB12.
* DO NOT BRING YOUR FIREARM WITH YOU TO THE SHERIFF’S OFFICE.
For applicants who have not yet obtained an application, it may be picked up at the Sheriff’s Office or downloaded as well as the “Ohio’s Concealed Carry Law” booklet. Each application will be thoroughly checked, fingerprints taken and background investigations completed within the allotted 45 days as required by law. Sheriff North asks each applicant to help with this process by reading through the booklet and making sure everything required is in order for the application/investigation processes to run as smoothly as possible.
The links below contain forms which are in PDF format. The application may be filled out, printed in hard copy form and taken to the Sheriff's Office. The “Ohio’s Concealed Carry Law” booklet is also available for your convenience of viewing and downloading in hard copy form.